playdg.com Forum Index playdg.com

[FAQ]  [Search]   [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]   [Register]
[Profile]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
 HYLAND SKI AND SNOW BOARD AREA! View next topic
View previous topic
dian cecht

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, I know I used all caps, but it's definetaly warranted.

the spanking new 18-hole course at the Hyland Ski and Snowboard area opens This Friday (7/15).

there is apearentally a new signature hole for the west metro there. hole 18 is over 700 ft in length!!!

I believe that there is a fee to play (3 dollars a round or 5 dollars for a full day pass).

plus it run by the Three Rivers Parks District so Beer and wine will be available for purchase on the course!

Edit: So I had a chance to play on 7/15 and it was brutal...but let me explain, This course is quite possible the nicest in the Twin Cities. But I had the bright idea to go and play around noon (high 90's and a beating sun, combine this with having to climb strait up the south hill at hyland and even the most rugged discer would need to take a break). Still the layout is beautiful and hole 18 is simple marvelous. As a suggestion I would say, if you don't have anyone playing immediately behind you, toss a few on 18 (seems only fitting after the hike up hill).

P.S. holes 3 and 4 will not be playable until the grass on their fairways grows in (possible next season)

"Direct intercourse with the authorities was not particularly difficult then, for well organized as they might be, all they did was to guard the distant and invisible intrests of distant and invisible masters"-Franz Kafka, The Castle
Entity.MN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Since I'm planning on playing a round tonight, I'm reminded of something I've noticed before. Hyland SSA is missing from this site's course directory. That's always seemed like a surprising omission to me.

I wonder if you've been there, and since it's a pay course, you asked permission, and they denied it? I suppose you guys could have just not gotten around to it yet, or else could be waiting for them to finalize the layout?
Entity.MN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, that's a lot of climbing. And some great views. And a bunch of people just running randomly up and down the hills.
AWine44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, good times. Our group played 2 rounds and it gets tiring. We had an Ace in our group yesterday. The Lefty in our group threw a backhand for a skip Ace on #15.
periferalFinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They also left in one of the temp holes from Majestic. After #6 if you walk right up to the road and back track a little (opposite of #7) you'll walk up a little hill and on the left you'll see a cement tee box. The hole plays as a very long tunnel shot through the woods with a late left bend and down a little hill. You'll come out along the same road and continue on to #7. Hole probably plays about 450' and is a serious challenge.
mysteray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

entity.mn, your final guess is spot on, we're waiting for the layout to be finalized. we've played there twice i think, maybe 3 times.

another surprising omission is blue ribbon pines. i'd like to get both hyland and brp on the site this year, as long as they stop making changes to the layouts. Smile

Entity.MN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

periferalFinn: I think we saw some other players on that hole last night, and were confused, since we were pretty sure we were following the map they gave us.

mysteray: I'm also looking forward to seeing Kaposia updated. Don't worry, the new hill climbing section isn't nearly as brutal as Hyland.
periferalFinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, the temp hole is definitely not on the map. Only reason I heard about it is because I asked the guy inside about the Majestic and whether they were planning to go to a perm 27 hole layout at anytime soon. Pretty sure the 'temp' hole will be there permanently now since it has a cement tee and perm basket. However I don't think they plan on playing it as part of the course based off what the clerk said. We actually only played it the first time though. Pretty buggy back there.

As far as 27 holes, the rumor is that they plan on expanding the club house and in doing so they would shut down the golf range. Actually they might shut down the range either way. If they do that, he was pretty sure they would go 27 permanent holes with a 3 9-hole courses style layout. Where each 9 would tee off and complete near the clubhouse. Obviously it's likely a long way out but it's fun to think about.
AWine44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

27 holes would be awesome. I liked this 19th hole they have right now. Nice to get a couple more wooded holes on the course.

I don't mind waiting for the joggers that cross over the fairways yesterday but looking for disc in the taller grass on the fairways was kinda annoying.
periferalFinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Called today and it sounds like HSSA will be open this Friday, 4/9. Pretty excited that all of the P2P's in my neck of the woods are opening back up!
periferalFinn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Played this on Sunday and there were a few changes. Hole #5 has changed to be a combination of the old #5 and #6. You now pay from #5 tee to #6 basket. The 'new' #6 is the hole that was added last year in the woods behind old #6 and is now permanent. I believe they simply called it A.
periferalFinn

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Got out there in the rain today and it was in pretty good shape. Funny to see the snow still on hole 1/2. It really plays like a beast now with the changes to holes 5/6.

This course has to be one of the best in the metro just based on the limited traffic and great amenities. So worth the $35 pass to get this and Elm Creek. I don't even count Bryant Lake anymore because it is so unplayable due to course traffic.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic