playdg.com Forum Index playdg.com

[FAQ]  [Search]   [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]   [Register]
[Profile]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
 Kaposia Park? View next topic
View previous topic
Vlaminck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm... I hope you were just not seeing them. I was there yesterday and I know I saw the base of the pin for the creek shot, but I didn't putt at any of the others. I mostly practiced my driving on the rest of them. I doubt they'd completely abandon some of the best holes Kaposia has to offer.

Entity.MN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Korisu, Vlaminck, look at my post from June of last year, if you need a course map:
http://www.playdg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1855
(Probably not, but just in case.)

Yes, during the winter they pull the pins for holes 17-23. Probably because most of the people trying to climb down that valley between 16 and 17 with snow and ice on the ground would die. Someone will post in here when the additional pins are back in, but for now it's just the 1-16, B, 24 layout, 18 hole course. (Also note that my map that I link to in that post has the long positions in for holes 5 to 8, while the short pins are in for now.)

I definitely agree that tee pads are sorely needed for the couple of holes that do not have them. They would have to finalize the layout then, though, and I'm not convinced they are ready to do that. As Vlaminck mentions about that hole he wants back in, "short 9" ("A" on my map), they would need to decide that's actually a hole if they are going to put a tee pad in. I have a feeling that they most likely think that it's too close to the driveway, though, and would be dangerous with people standing there, and cars passing. And they would have to decide if 17 (on my map, "B") is a long or a short hole, or if they spend to pour two tees for it. Those last two tees for the 18 hole setup are a horror for winter league, though so I am really, really, really hoping those finally get put in this year.
Vlaminck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just got season passes for me and a friend from SSP Parks & Rec. at 100 7th St. N. They just got them in, but not everyone there knows about it. So if you go there and they tell you they don't have them yet, politely ask them to check.

I'm pretty excited about this season. I hope, but am not expecting, less traffic, and I REALLY hope they put the money into the course and make some needed improvements. My biggest concern is that now that they're charging, I wonder what they'll do with walking down that gorge to get to the back holes. As Entity mentioned, they might think "short 9" or "A" on his map, may seem dangerous because of the proximity to the road. I think that's a valid concern, and I hope they ignore it. Wink But now that they're charging, what if they have to think about liabilities, and peoples safety? They may think walking down that gorge is too dangerous without a stairway. A stairway that would be far too expensive to build.

I suppose I'm worried because Kaposia is my favorite course, and now that they're charging for it we can expect some changes. I apparently fear change because my concerns are pretty menial. I don't expect them to do anything drastic, but they're making some hefty changes to North Valley. Most of which I think are great, but I will miss throwing down the hill from the pump house.

Anyway, this has turned out to be a rant. Here's a pic of the passes I just bought.

Entity.MN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

252 and 253?

PSA: If you care about getting low numbers, go to IGH for your pass. I got mine in the mail on Saturday. #5. My friend drove there (Because a phone call to SSP said they did not have theirs yet) before our round on Wednesday. #14. (He now has 5. After a 1-hole playoff. Grr.)
Vlaminck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Entity.MN wrote:

(He now has 5. After a 1-hole playoff. Grr.)

HA! that's great. I'm sure you'll get it back at some point. I'm not too worried about my number. Having a higher number gives me more lower numbers to play for, rather than more higher numbers to lose to. Wink Not too sure I'll be playing many people for their numbers anyway. I'll probably end up flipping back and forth between 252 and 253.

Entity.MN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Vlaminck wrote:
I'm not too worried about my number.

Yep, same here. I know some people really do, though, so I wanted to inform them. We are also fairly sure that we will just be trading back and forth until Chilly Dog rolls back around.
mysteray

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

wow, i like the look of those. a lot better than three rivers park passes.

Entity.MN

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

5, 6, & 7 had their long pin positions in on Saturday. 8 should follow soon, I expect. Good thing my buddy was paying attention before driving 5, or that could have been unfortunate. Smile

Hopefully the ravine holes follow soon!
Vlaminck

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just found the MN Majestic map. I'd love to see it become permanent. 27 hole Kaposia sounds great. Plus you could easily play it as 18 if that's what you were in for.

I may have to enter MN Majestic this year just to play that layout.

periferalFinn

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Majestic this year is actually planned to be only played at Castle Rock. I was at BRP last weekend and they are currently not in the plans. I know Kaposia is definitely out due to the changes the park made to the fees for hosting tournaments there.

There is a tournament at Kaposia next weekend actually hosted by GGGT. Sounds like it will only be 18 holes however. From the MFA post which is speaking of the upcoming tournament but touches on when they plan on utilizing the back portion of the course:

"Plan on the 18 holes that are in right now. Same as the winter layout except 5, 6, & 7 are long 8 will stay short all year and in regards to the back holes I am guessing it was a disgruntled neighbor but all the sleeves have had the covers ripped off and filled with rocks & sticks. That is a project that will most likely not get done until later this month."
Vlaminck

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

periferalFinn wrote:
The Majestic this year is actually planned to be only played at Castle Rock. I was at BRP last weekend and they are currently not in the plans. I know Kaposia is definitely out due to the changes the park made to the fees for hosting tournaments there.

hmm... Not sure how to feel about that. I hope that change in fee doesn't permanently deter the Majestic tourney.

periferalFinn wrote:
"Plan on the 18 holes that are in right now. Same as the winter layout except 5, 6, & 7 are long 8 will stay short all year and in regards to the back holes I am guessing it was a disgruntled neighbor but all the sleeves have had the covers ripped off and filled with rocks & sticks. That is a project that will most likely not get done until later this month."

First: Short 8 all year? I wonder why.
Second: WTF?!? Rocks in the sleeves? That's disheartening. Does anyone know who is in charge of putting those pins in? I have finals next week, but the weekend of the 15th I'd be willing to volunteer some time trying to clean those out.

Entity.MN

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Vlaminck wrote:
First: Short 8 all year? I wonder why.
Second: WTF?!? Rocks in the sleeves? That's disheartening. Does anyone know who is in charge of putting those pins in? I have finals next week, but the weekend of the 15th I'd be willing to volunteer some time trying to clean those out.

I know. I have been looking forward to digging discs out of that pine tree since they put in the short pin last fall. I was going to comment on how it confuses me, since erosion should be more of a problem for the short one, then I realized that's probably exactly it. The long pin spot is probably in line to get some stairs installed this summer as part of the course improvements. Hopping down those rocks has always seemed a little dangerous. Or, am I just dreaming?

I'm going to have to wander down there and check these out after my next round. This makes me very sad to hear. If I have any ideas for cleaning 'em out, I'll share. Going to have to get caps that lock on, next time.
Entity.MN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Pay to play is definitely in effect now. The trailer/office is manned, and you just show your season pass and they give you a wrist band to put on that the park rangers can look for as they pass through. Chatted with the guy running the "office", and only one group disobeyed the rules and played without paying all day. (They apparently got huffy and complained that they had played for free for 30 years, which is impressive for a course that was installed in '87.)

Added bonus: $5 day passes are in fact available!
periferalFinn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So does anyone know if Kaposia is still 27 holes? When are they planning to pull the 'back 9'?
Vlaminck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm sure you've noticed, but they've pulled the back 9. Not sure when the official season is, but when they charge is when they have the long pins and the back nine in.

I was out there last weekend trying out the snow. It was kind of inspiring because the snow was so hard that none of my discs even went under. Looking forward to getting out there again this weekend. Might head to North Valley while I'm out.
Anyone else throw in the winter?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic