playdg.com Forum Index playdg.com

[FAQ]  [Search]   [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]   [Register]
[Profile]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
 Kaposia Park? View next topic
View previous topic
jakeschramm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nada, all three courses played 27 holes. I believe they added a hole playing from the old gorge teepad, one playing on the left side of 17s fairway from the pavilion, and one other that I can't remember.
squipple

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Does someone have a map of the new layout? I was there last night, and only got to hole 15 before it got dark, but saw that 17 and 18 weren't in the ground. Since I'm not familiar with the old layout, after 16 I wouldn't know where to go.

Entity.MN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like you also missed the "new" 9 that they inserted (follow the drive into the park, the tee is right on it, and it plays back int the woods towards the tee for what's now 10), so the 16 that you know is actually now 17, and after that, you go down the tricky path to the bottom of the ravine. You'll be rewarded, though - the current 18 is beautiful. It's the only hole from "back in the day" that I remember clearly. (Play the path as out-of-bounds at your own risk though) After that are two holes going up the other side of the ravine, 21 is up on flat land (dogleg right), 22 plays along the side of the hill (not too long, big hyzer), 23 is the new long hole on the course (520', according to the plaques they had up for the Majestic), then cross the embankment for the paths to the highway foot-bridge, and 24 is the "classic" last hole for this course, using the tee that was referred to earlier in this thread as "the long tee on hole #4" - a long, hard, dogleg right.

For the Majestic, they played 25 from next to the pavillion down towards the tee for old 17, and the old 17 and 18 played as 26 & 27.
jakeschramm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's a rough estimate of the holes at kaposia.

The red are the "normal" 18. Yellow are the additional 6 for the "new" 24. The blue are holes that were added at the Majestic to make it a 27 hole course.

Only bad thing about the 24 is no more gorge shot. Picture the yellow short hole on the bottom left shooting north. It used to look like this....

from the Tee

From the basket
AWine44

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

so Kaposia is 24 permant holes now?
drscholl14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes

Entity.MN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep. Played it last night, for the first time since spectating the Majestic, and confirmed that it played how I figured it would based on what I saw then. With the new layout it looks like the total length has gone up about 1700', and I figure the new public par at 86.
jakeschramm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is my map accurate? I couldn't remember exactly what "new" holes were permanent.
periferalFinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jakeschramm wrote:
Is my map accurate? I couldn't remember exactly what "new" holes were permanent.

I was trying to visually hole numbers using your map. So Entity mentions you head down the ravine after #17 (old #16) to play the new hole down there. Do you then come back up and play the old #17/#18 and then close out with the 4 new holes starting at the south end of the map? Or after the new #18 do you continue south to play the other new holes? Guess I'm having a hard time visualizing the flow of play here. Maybe hole numbers added to jake's map would make it easier on the rest of us. (Yes, I'm demanding Surprised )
jakeschramm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here are the directions for the new holes.

For new hole 9, you will want to follow the road back toward the parking lot instead of cutting though the paths to old 9, until you find a toe board/tee sign.

After 17 (old 16) you go to the left of the basket and follow the path down the ravine which leads to new hole 18, a short shot along a paved path with water on the right. After 18, walk pretty much strait in line from the tee to basket up a semi-steep hill. Once to the top, opening head right for the next teepad, new 19. 19 plays a dogleg right, short of the hockey rink. Behind 19, maybe 75 feet away you will see the teepad for the gorge hole. New 20 plays from the right of the teepad to the left (marked by a white line) and shoots downhill and to an opening on the left, about 260ft. After holing out 20, follow the path on the backside of the green to hole 21, if i remember this is a fairly short walk. New 21 plays fairly long mostly along the paved path, to a basket under a giant oak tree. After holing out, cross the path on top near the pedestrian bridge and down the hill to new 22. 22 faces 4s teepad, and plays a dogleg right around the large group of trees back towards the parking lot. Proceed to Hole 23 (old 17), and to hole 24 (old 1Cool to end the round.

The only hole i am not 100% on is the hockey rink hole being permanent. If it isnt, you will either see a basket on the steep part of the hill after new 18, or one once you reach the opening on the top of the hill.

I just realized that the teepad for old 15 is on the wrong side of old 14...but if you've played there before you know where it is...

Last edited by jakeschramm on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Entity.MN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jakeschramm's map is an accurate enough representation of the layout (other than the tee marked at the wrong end of 15), but does err on which holes were removed. The ones that don't play, on his map, are the ones that were recently 17 & 18 (red), and the temporary (Majestic) hole next to what was 17 (blue) down from the pavillion.

Hmmm, if I get rained out tonight, I might stay late at work, where I have Photoshop... (But I have to have played Hyland SSA at least once before the Surly Open, and a buddy suggested tonight.)
Salamander_MN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Man, I had a hard time figuring out the layout of the original 18. The only time I played there I skipped a hole somewhere. They really need an "official" overhead map. Exclamation

periferalFinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awesome, thanks for the update Jake. So it really does seem to have some flow issues having to walk all the way back for 23/24 (old 17/18 holes) but having 6 new holes is awesome.
jakeschramm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So old 17 and old 18 don't play anymore, but the two blue ones that play uphill after the creek hole are in play?
periferalFinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Entity.MN wrote:

Hmmm, if I get rained out tonight, I might stay late at work, where I have Photoshop... (But I have to have played Hyland SSA at least once before the Surly Open, and a buddy suggested tonight.)

AWine44 and I are also hitting Hyland tonight for a few rounds before the Surly Open. On the same note, it's too bad that they can't scrap the ball golf range and make the A-I holes permanent. We've shockingly only been out there once this year after buying the yearly pass so we need to start to get our money back.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic