playdg.com Forum Index playdg.com

[FAQ]  [Search]   [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]   [Register]
[Profile]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
 putting grips View next topic
View previous topic
SlowJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing love the sport, got my distance shot covered, total shunk the put, got worn out finger joints they don't want to release any input should improve game.( I already take glucosamine/chondroitin) looking for different types of grips ,stance,focus,magic? tire of missing birdys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Joe

Something I've found that's helped me recently on my release, is to grip the putter wth both hands when you pull back. Then release with your non-throwing hand so that your throwing arm is working like more of a catupult or slingshot. It makes my putts go much straighter, and I have to put a lot less effort into getting distance.

As far as a grip goes, I've been told to grip with all fingers around the rim. Although I can see how this could cause someone with joint problems. I hold my disc very similar to how I hold a piece of paper. Thumb on top, and fingers fanned out below. It's a lot less stressful on the joints. Works well for me. Not to say it will for you, but it's worth a try.

Some other tricks I've read about that I use, are:
Painting the pole - When in your stance, pretend your putter is a paintbrush, and you're going to paint the center pole of the basket. From your putting view, move your putter up and down the pole a couple times in a paintbrush-fashion. This helps with aiming and focusing in on the target. I make about 50% more putts inside 40ft from this tip alone.

Drawing a path with your eyes - I do this to more properly judge distance. After you've aimed and right before you putt, look at the target, and then follow the ground all the way back to your lie, then back to the target. Repeat a couple times until you feel confident. I've read that using a mini for your lie placement in this case will make the target appear larger, and focus you in even more.

I've read a few others that I've tried and didn't help much. The thing with tips is to give them a chance. Take the optician's approach. If they don't work after a few minutes of practice putts, adjust one thing. Maybe stance, maybe grip. Try again for a few minutes. If it works better the other way, switch back. Then adjust something else and try more. Just don't change too many things at once or you won't know what it is that's working and what's not.

Hope that's of some help.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic